Mount Allen Junior College (1952-1953)
Mount Olive Junior College (1954-1969)
Mount Olive College (1970-2013)
Mount Allen Junior College was established by the North Carolina Convention of Free Will Baptists in September, 1951, to provide a program of Christian higher education. The College received its charter for a junior college in November of 1951. The first year of operation in 1952-53 was at Cragmont Assembly, the Free Will Baptist summer retreat grounds near Black Mountain, NC, under the leadership of the Reverend Lloyd Vernon. The school was called Mount Allen Junior College, taking its name from the mountain near Cragmont.
In 1953, the College relocated to Mount Olive to be nearer to the center of denominational strength in the eastern section of the state. Under the leadership of the Reverend David W. Hansley, Chairman of the Board of Directors, plans were made to develop a junior college offering programs in arts and sciences and in business. Until minimum preparations could be made for using the Mount Olive property, Mr. Vernon held classes in the Beulaville Free Will Baptist Church. In November 1953, he brought the students to Mount Olive. The Reverend W. Burkette Raper was chosen as president in July 1954, and steps were taken to begin a collegiate program in September, with an enrollment of 22 students. In 1955, the name was changed to Mount Olive Junior College.
In 1956, plans were initiated for the purchase of land and the development of an enlarged campus. In 1960, the College was granted accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In 1965, the first buildings were completed on the new campus.
In September of 1970, the school’s name was changed to Mount Olive College. In 1979, the Board of Trustees set a timetable to make Mount Olive a senior college. In 1986, the first baccalaureate degrees were awarded and the Southern Association granted accreditation as a four-year institution. On January 1, 2014, the school’s name was officially changed to the University of Mount Olive.
Orientation, Sept. 6, 1961 - Original Mount Olive Campus
Panelists for Free Will Baptist Student Fellowship - First Fall 1967 Meeting
(L-R) Isaac Hines, Pamela Wood, Becky Jo Sumner, Dianne Brown, and Miss Hilda F. Owens
Original Size Image - Panelists for Free Will Baptist Student Fellowship - First Fall 1967 Meeting
Faculty, ca. 1956
Dr. W. Burkette Raper, President, 1954-1995
Reference Room of Original Library
Henderson Building, ca. 1966
Grantham Hall, Men's Dorm
Rodgers Chapel - 1974
Mount Olive Alma Mater
Hail, Mount Olive, Alma Mater,
endless years shall crown they head;
praise we then our great Creator,
who through all the years shall lead.
May thy torch of truth grow brighter
still supplied with light divine;
strong, and clear, and ever burning;
on the path of wisdom shine.
Alma Mater, Our dear mother,
honored ever, honored now;
courage, faith and love devoted,
be the laurels on thy brow.
O, Mount Olive, how we love thee,
Dowered with thy fost’ring care;
kindest heaven smile upon thee,
God exalt and keep thee fair.
- Daniel W. Fagg, Jr.
Some photos used by permission of the Mount Olive Area Historical Society
November 27, 1951 - Charter issued by the State of North Carolina.
September 22, 1952 - Mount Allen Junior College opened at Cragmont Assembly (Lloyd Vernon, president)
September 17, 1953 - Convention of Original FWB authorized purchase of Mount Olive Elementary School building and relocation of College
August 2, 1954 - W. Burkette Raper became president
September 9, 1954 - First collegiate year. College opened in Mount Olive with twenty-two students
September 14, 1955 - Convention of Original Free Will Baptists authorized name change to Mount Olive Junior College
November 6, 1958 - State accreditation attained
December 1, 1960 - Accreditation granted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Semptember 27, 1965 - Henderson Building and Women’s Residence Hall Complex occupied
August, 1968 - Moye Library completed
September, 1970 - Grantham Hall completed
September, 1970 - Convention of Original Free Will Baptists authorized name change to University of Mount Olive
August 3, 1974 - Rodgers Chapel dedicated
September 12, 1979 - Convention of Original Free Will Baptists aurthorized four-year program
April 19, 1980 - Scarborough Field dedicated
January 7, 1984 - Grand Opening of College Hall (now Kornegay Arena)
October, 1985 - College apartments completed
May 10, 1986 - First Baccalaureate degrees awarded
December 9, 1986 - Senior college accreditation granted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
August, 1991 - Poole Administration Building completed
April 18, 1993 - Grand Opening of the Lois K. Murphy Regional Center
November 2, 1993 - Grand Opening of the University of Mount Olive at New Bern
January 31, 1995 - J. William Byrd, Ph.D., assumed the duties of third president of the University of Mount Olive
September 28, 1995 - Galloway Music Library dedicated
October 8, 1995 - Jesse R. Laughinghouse Hall dedicated
October 30, 1995 - Grand Opening of the University of Mount Olive at Wilmington
October 1, 1997 - Grand Opening of the University of Mount Olive at Research Triangle Park
November 20, 1999 - Alumni Cross Walk dedicated
May 6, 2000 - Moore-Williams Fieldhouse dedicated
March 25, 2001 - Nancy Chapman Cassell Softball Field
September 4, 2001 - King Hall dedicated
May 7, 2002 - John Neal Walker Tennis Center dedicated
May 7, 2002 - Agribusiness Center ribbon cutting
September 29, 2002 - Carillon in Rodgers Chapel dedicated
November 8, 2003 - Milton M. Lownes, Jr., M.D. Student Health Center dedicated
August 30, 2005 - George and Annie Dail Kornegay Arena (formerly College Hall) dedicated
October 3, 2005 - Grand Opening of the University of Mount Olive at Washington
October 28, 2006 - Pope Wellness Center dedicated
November 18, 2006 - W. Burkette and Rose M. Raper Hall dedeicated
August 24, 2007 - Ray and Chris Amon Field dedicated
November 17, 2007 - Lois G. Britt Agribusiness Center dedicated
May 31, 2008 - NCAA Division II National Champions - Baseball
July 1, 2009 - Philip P. Kerstetter, Ph.D., assumed the duties as the fourth president of the University of Mount Olive
August 12, 2009 - Grand Opening of the University of Mount Olive at Jacksonville
September 12, 2009 - Annie Mae Whitfield and Everett Edwin Herring Residence Halls dedicated
November 27, 2012 - The J. William and Marvis E. "Marcy" Byrd Apartment Complex and Assembly Hall dedicated
January 1, 2014 - Mount Olive College changes name to the University of Mount Olive